Thursday, May 7, 2015

13 looks at Lithuanian Hill of Crosses/

My father emigrated to this country from Lithuania. For many years his parents lived on the hill across from him,and for those years his [parents depended upon him for their needs, English and ties to the old country(others had settled there in Mt. Clare, Wva) This hill  in Lithuania itself  is steeped in great hisoty - here are a few glances where now there are hundreds of thousands of crosses!!













Mysterious hill of crosses where pilgrims actually believe Christ can perform miracles 

  • The tradition of leaving crosses began after an uprising against the Russian tsar was put down in 1831
  • Relatives of the dead rebels, with no bodies to bury, instead left crosses on this hill to commemorate their fallen
  • Today there are some 200,000 crosses, carvings and shrines at the site made out of everything from wood to meta

4 comments:

  1. Wow, that's quite the hill. I like the shot with the one cross shining through all the others.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that is an impressive site. Thanks for telling us about it! My T13

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is amazing. I had never heard of this. Thank you for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. News to me, too. Stunning. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you beforehand for genuine, positive , make me happy today comments

Thoughts on Christmas new Thursday 13

Christmas comes so very fast.I want to hold it in my heart all year Mr. Dickens I really do . I have been extremely ill so it is a particula...